Door to Door Atheism

As my last post was a bit on the heavy side (and I’ve been dying to post this since it was sent to me—thanks Doug!), I thought I would share this great video. It’s taken from Australian comedian John Safran’s TV series John Safran vs. God, and turns the tables on Mormons in hilarious style! I think he actually does a pretty good job of selling atheism—I particularly like the part where he talks about cognitive dissonance. Perhaps this is another reason atheists are very often happier than theists?

Tags: , ,

The Mormons are obnoxious only in Utah, where they have real power. If there is a group that deserves to be flayed, it is the Jehovah’s Witnesses, whose spiritual arrogance is mind-boggling.

The main trouble with the JW’s is that they are so indoctrinated, they learn the bible by rote, can quote from almost anywhere, but have no original thoughts of their own.
I had a woman standing at my door for an hour once while I argued religion with her; every time I asked her opinion she quoted from the bible; my response was,”I can read the bible, but what is your opinion?”
Her answer each time was another passage from the book.
She invited me to bible study class; I declined, saying “It’s ok, I know how to read, I started before prep school.”

I used to get door to door missionaries every week, and simply did not answer the door. Then one day they caught outside doing yard work. I very calmly, and respectfully declined their andvances to no avail. I let them know that I had been brought up as a Christian, but during my college education became an Atheist. Of course they were even more determined to bring this lost lamb back into the fold. When I explained to them that the Holocausts(notice I use the plural)and Wars were 2 of many determining factors, the female of the couple replied that if she had been a jew during that holocaust, it would only have made her faith stronger. At this point I knew I was dealing with a complete idiot. Had I been a cartoon character I’m sure steam would have been flowing from my ears!
At this point whatever I said (which is totally lost in my memory banks)had the positive effect of them completely giving up on me, and I have never seen them again.

Imagine the Islamic android children that are produced by the thousands in Madras for the sole purpose of becoming suicide bombers whose brainwashed mentality is similar to this female missionary. It is most frightening.

When the European Christian missionaries descended on the many tribes of indigenous peoples in N. America and attempted conversion w/o the use of the sword, they made very little progress because their teachings were considered so preposterous by the native peoples. Only when Euroreligion was attached to some other benefit which promoted political survival did the American Indians give in.

JohnFourtyTwo

JohnFourtyTwo

Robert’s experience reminds me of when I was in elementary and high school. Every day for 12 years I was told by the Pentecostal students that I was going to Hell mainly because I wasn’t Pentecostal or agreed with their beliefs. These kids were always preaching their beliefs at school, on the bus, and anywhere else you had the misfortune to see them.

I was raised Methodist but never practiced it due mainly because I was forced to go to church until I was about 12 or 13 years old. After that I just stayed home with my dad while my mom and brother went to church.

It just didn’t make any sense to me. We would have Sunday School in the early morning then worship service later. There was also a youth fellowship service followed by evening worship services. All this consisted of a preacher or Sunday School teacher reading from the Bible and trying to explain how it applied to today’s world.

To me it was just a waste of time. I can read the Bible if I wanted to and I had no problem understanding it. It’s pretty much a collection of stories about power, misery, devotion, and how great you will be rewarded for putting up with it all in the end.

That’s pretty much what we do anyway, regardless if you’re religious or not. If you want to have a good or great life then simply put forth the effort and make the best of it. It’s a complete falicy that God helps those who bow down and pray to him all the time.

The proof is that good things happen to bad people and vice-versa. Where is God when that flood, fire, tornado, .etc is destroying and killing everything and everyone around while everyone is praying to Him for help?! Where is God when very bad people get away with everything?! Religous folks favorite answer is that he’s testing us and that we have to have faith in Him.

Must be a comforting thought for those on their deathbed who lived a trying miserable life but kept the faith and prayed to Him for devine guidance instead of trying to make things better for themselves by taking control of their own lives and destinies. I guess they don’t believe in the concept that God helps those who help themselves.

Yes, John42, Methodist Sundays were the most dreaded day of my week as a child. Sunday School, then Church, then MYF at night. To this day I still hate Sundays. After going to public school 5 days a week, I felt that Methodist Sundays were a travesty and total waste of my precious free time. I never played hookey even once in all 12 years of public school. I cannot say the same about Church Services.

loved the video, loved the way he turned tables on the proselytisers. also think Robert’s view on brainwashing and suicide bombing deserve thought and (further) debate.

to be fair, many years ago I wound up living in Spain on the beach, no hope, no future, long story, won’t bore you. Mormons (in Valencia) took me in for a few days, fed me, looked after me. yes, on the downside I was given leaflets and “reading material” but, without these people I might not be where I’m now, they helped without questioning or imposing their views; I will remember their kindness to a total stranger.

You can add images to your comment by clicking here.