God vs. Satan

I don’t have time for a full post this week, so I thought I’d post this interesting little graph I was told about (thanks OldiesLover!). With Gods like this, who needs Satan? Is Satan actually the good guy? ;-)

Wish I’d seen this a few years back.
It is an interesting historical point that the only two religions with a consistent history of persecuting other religions are Christianity and Islam.

Apparently, an entity has to be abundantly both good and evil to qualify to be “God”. A pantheist might accept the perceivable “Plan of the Universe”, and extrapolate from what little is known into the vast frontiers of the unknown. The pantheist could thusly become quite assured, throughout all Existence, humanly knowable and otherwise, that The Plan includes both the will and power to create and destroy in a vast number of possible styles and variations. Much of it need not make much sense to humans, though humans are putatvely subject to both the creative and destructive streams of consciousness and force (“superstrings”, perhaps) at all points or states of being they can possibly access or abide with in time and space.

Satan would be a special creation within the scope of the Plan — a super-entity that might have seemed, originally, quite beautifully and extensively endowed with such powers as to make him/her the supreme One (and most beloved of the Creator) amongst the hosts of universe denizens. Then, there is the legend of Rebellion (a fall from grace?), which brings into focus the reality of mundane human opinions across a wide variety of cultures, each of which tends to tell its own separate version of this legend. The Greeks put the Rebellion forth as a movement in FAVOR of humankind in the tragedy of Prometheus. Yes, and Prometheus is the “satanic” demigod who falls eternally victim to a hateful, angry Zeus (again, the Old Goat party-pooper Himself) because of giving humankind the power represented by “fire”. (In this day and age, it might seem necessary, to some, to identify this gift of Power with something similar to nuclear energy instead of mere “fire”.) The Bible analysis displayed above, to me, portrays a similar lineup of friend and foe.

This is all actually a catch-22. In order to believe that Satan exists, requires a belief in the xian bible and xian god. How else would we know about Satan, if not for the xian bible? Yes, I am sure other religions have an “evil” entity, which is used to define evil, but I do believe Satan is unique to the xian religion. Anyhow, I don’t believe any murders have been committed in the name of Satan, but rather in the name of religion period!

Even Ra, the sun-god has his + & -. It is very easy to understand how humans that require a god creature in their psyche, could worship the sun.
As the naked ape, the sunshine feels warm and wonderful on our skin, unless we are exposed to too much and then it burns us. The sun makes the earth green and plants forever growing which provide food, clothing, shelter, and controlled fire at night when the sun is resting. But too much sun and not enough water can parch the plants, turn the earth brown, and produce uncontrolled devastating fire. During the daylight, the sun allows humans with very poor night vision to be visibly aware of their surroundings. But when Ra is resting, he abandons us to the deadly night predators.(That abandonment is definitely not cool!)

Since it is utterly impossible to find a perfect god creature to protect us at all times, what is the point of any religion based on worshipping a deity that doesn’t deliver? It’s sort of like paying bonuses to CEOs while they mismanage their company into bankruptcy.

@Robert – LOL! I absolutely agree that it doesn’t make sense to worship a God who doesn’t deliver (I like your analogy a lot!), but I always thought it did make a lot of sense for pagans to worship the sun. As the source of the elements from which we’re made and the energy that powers us, you could very well say that the sun really is our creator. If we must have a God, the sun makes a lot of sense.

@don – I absolutely agree – countless murders have been commited in the name of a religion itself, but not in the name of Satan. And there certainly haven’t been any commited in the name of atheism.

WE should avoid contradiction by not worshipping at the altar of atheism.
We should be agnostics with open minds, while religious believers like creationists should stop peddling false science
We should also recognize that humans appear to be “wired” to believe in something, so we should be careful about what we replace our religion with. (Communism, fascism and other ideologies come to mind.)
–Worshipping the moon is sheer lunacy; in any case we would only be basking in the Sun’s reflected glory.
–Sun worship makes a lot more sense than most. That seems to be what Sachiko is doing in quite a number of her photos. THere is nothing like the great outdoors!

Well yes – worshipping the moon literally is lunacy. :-)

And I do love the sun – I go crazy if I don’t get enough of it in fact. A good reason I live in Australia!

The most destructive religion in the U.S. is Cut-Throat Capitalism which is basically the worship of Wealth and the compulsive hoarding of it. It has become a very dangerous Cult here with World-Wide repercussions. I know people who worship at it’s Alter 24 hours a day. It disgusts me.

@Robert – Given how destructive the religious right has been for the US and for the world (and then there’s fundamentalist Islam and Zionism of course), I’m not sure cut-throat capitalism is the most destructive religion. But I agree has been very destructive indeed, and has spread across the globe.

fabulous graph, love it.

M. McQuown wrote “..the only two religions with a consistent history of persecuting other religions are Christianity and Islam.”

not really, Judaism is the third of these “Abrahamic” religions, the oldest too, and they are all equally intolerant of “others”.

the worst aspect of all the organised religions is, IMO, that they “hijack” our innate spirituality for their own ends (power & control), not to mention the endless wars and misery that came of it.

The eminent sociologist Talcott Parsons once described Ancient Israel and Ancient Greece as the “Seed bed” societies of Western Civilization. I take it that most people at Sachiko’s site prefer the legacy of the Greeks–humanistic, rationalistic, the origin of both science and philosophy. While the Abrahamic religion borought normative order to society (and contributed to the development of law), it still has had a pretty mixed legacy.

Well, yes – I know I certainly have a lot more admiration for the Greek legacy anyway. :-)

@Sachiko@Sachiko

IMHO what we call “God” and “Satan” are opposite sides of the same coin. You can’t know one without the other.

You can add images to your comment by clicking here.