No Olympics Here!

I often feel like I’m just about the only person on earth who doesn’t have any interest in sport. Of course, playing sport can be a good, fun way to exercise, so I don’t have anything against that. But for me, competitive sport really missses the point of what sport should be about, as it takes all the fun out of it. And sitting on a couch just watching sport seems to miss the point even more! Am I really that alone in having absolutely zero interest in such huge sporting events as the Olympics?

POSTSCRIPT: On a related note, I’ve always felt our society has too much reverance for sporting achievement, and not enough for intellectual achievement. After all, compared with almost any other animal, human beings are pretty weak and pathetic physically. It is our brains that have put us at the top of the food chain on this planet, and it is thinkers like scientists who do the most to change everyone’s lives. So why don’t we have more respect for that than we do for achievements in sport?

Tags:

The Olympics are probably the only sporting event that i might view. The Winter Games are my favorite, 2 more years to go. Like you, I do not care to sit and watch. I would much rather like to be riding my bike, playing Disc Golf, Volley Ball or Soccer. I do not care for professional sports here in the states at all. Corporate names have replaced the original names of venues here. Their logos are everywhere. Players are overpaid and still whine for more. It is all about the o mighty $, not the love of the sport. I will stop my babbling now.

Have a great weekend Sachiko!

P.S. I and a lover of science and technology. I tend to keep up on things in that world. No one seems to care of their achievements nowadays. It is sad when you think of it.

=]

i don’t normally have much interest in the olympics, and this year i have even less, because i think it’s a travesty they are being held in China. So i’m going to avoid the olympics entirely this year out of principle.

i do watch sports, and enjoy baseball and US football. But i am not one to hold the athletes up as accomplishing world changing things. Unlike many i see them as what they are, entertainers, greatly skilled in what they do. But they won’t invent some life-saving device or cure a disease.

i actually think sports greatest accomplishments have come in the medical treatments they have helped to develop in the search for healing the athletes. The developments in ligament damage and replacement surgery and muscle and joint repair that were developed to help athletes, have also ended up helping many more regular citizens.

Just last year i believe it was, a (US style)football player recieved a severe neck/spinal injury and they feared he would never walk again. But the team training staff had read an article about the possibility of cold, chilling the body to certain temperatures in a certain way, might delay or slow the spinal damage until pressure could be relieved. So they tried it, on the fly, without prior experience, on this player. It was that, or he would never walk. They did it as they took him to the hopital, and it worked. They proved a theory and the guy will walk again, probably even run again. And now that treatment can be tried more widely, on any number of accident victims.

And in the US alone, if watching pro sports went away tomorrow, there would be a vast number of people looking for jobs, because many times over more than the athletes depend upon those baseball and football games being watched.

Sport has a high resonance with me. As an athlete I have played team sports ranging from Korfball and Team Handball to Soccer and Water Polo.
Individually I have bettered myself through Martial Arts training and pushed myself to the limits through Triathaloning.

I view sport as a challenge against myself, and then as a comparison of those who also participate in the sport. The Olympics truly compels that sort of viewpoint from the athletes better than any other sporting event in the world today. People may win world championships, but to win Olympic Medals still has a poignant ring to it. It is about maintaining discipline and excellence, while achieving peak performance by controlling all of the focus down to 3 weeks every 4 years.

I have had the opportunity to participate within the US National development programs during my youth, and have spent the last 20 years both competing and coaching to try and repay and pay honors to those that spent the time to work with me. Their efforts inspired/evoked the skills that I was gifted via genetics and personality that allowed me to take that #2 ranking in the US for my age group development level those many years ago. It has meaning and was an 11 year process and was highly formative in my development as a person and community member.

The Olympics in its ideal form was supposed to form a surrogate to the need for nations to enter into combat with each other, allowing nations to compete on the field of friendly comradery, so they could stand down from bloody combat in the field of campaigns. Also it gave an opportunity to have people from distant lands, cultures, religions and creeds to meet, learn, and invest time with a common set of goals and rewards.

Done right, sports can be a highly uplifting, physically and emotionally uplifting series of interactions that make personal relationships lasting for years and years. I have had the honor over the years to work with, meet, be coached by and coach with 80 Olympians/Olympic Coaching Staff/Olympic Committee Members, and most of them have truly tried to influence their communities and those they interact with in a positive way.

Sports in general however, now has become primarily a marketing/gambling vehicle. Of course the Olympics have fallen victim to this environment as well. The removal of Amateurism as a requirement, the allowing of endorsements and the political wrangling for the trillions in monies that go into developing, hosting, establishing and executing the games over the Olympic development cycle.

These are the incentives that take the sporting nature out of the sporting contest. The desire to juice, cheat, bribe, intentionally injure opponents, or otherwise seek unfair advantages, all come from these external pressures leading from the desire of fame, fortune and international standing.

I think it is fair to revere these people for their efforts on the field, as they have put many years of effort into procuring these skills with sweat, blood and sacrifice. However, once they strap on the marketing/gambling machine, it is apparent that their value as an icon/role model is compromised heavily. So honor those local athletes that play the game as straight as it can be played, and play for the love of sport.

I am fortunate that my sport of choice remains so insignificant/non-promotional that I can still say 99.995% of the players are within the confines of the play for love of sport category, and will not even once be tempted to fall into the fallacy of some of the more recognizable sports. Of course in 2020, my sport may also be removed from the Olympics altogether for lack of worldwide “popular” appeal despite being a 100,000 capacity seat filler for all performances in the 2004 games.

As for the other quandry, why aren’t scientists as “revered” in public stature? The simple answer is emotive connection. Everyone has played a sport/gambled/risked in a competitive way at some point in their life and can say they “know” what it means to do that. However not even 0.0000001% of the population has experienced a scientific Eureka moment like those of our highest level scientists, and only a fraction of a percentage more even know what the scientists actually do for that tiny scrap of additive information. The general population also doesn’t generally see the effects of this new information for 20 or 30 years on their daily lives, so it has no impactive reference.

Finally it is easier to talk about a great “performance” everyone has seen and replayed a million times on the news, rather than discuss the new additional 1 number that was found in the prime number sequence that perhaps was seen by thousands, but noticed by 10, as even being interesting/memorable.

Sorry for the Wall O’ Text – but it is a complex issue, that deserves some extrapolation and understanding.

No problem Ron – in fact I found your comments very insightful! This responses here are a great example of why I love my fans – how many other glamour models have intellegent discussion like this on their blogs? You guys often give me a fresh and valuable alternative perspective on things.

I think the point about events like the Olympics originally being a surrogate for combat – and to bring different cultures and religions together – is a particularly good one. If it can stop people from going to war, then bring it on! Sadly however, it doesn’t seem to have worked out that way. :-(

Hi Sachiko,

it’s interesting to hear your opinion on the Olympics, as many other topics, you disagree with most of the other people.
Thats what make you interesting.
The other comments are quite long, so I like to just add on little point where I disagree with you:
You said that it doesn’t make sense to sit on the couch and watch sports.
Well not all people are sporty but they still can enjoy watching it.
For it’s like for music: I can sit on the couch and enjoy listening music, to do that I don’t have to be a great musician.
What do you think?

Your fan

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

It is certainly not up to me (or anybody else) to say what people should and should not enjoy. I was just makng the point that, for me, sport is about getting out there and having fun playing it yourself. Personally, I just don’t get any enjoyment out of simply watching it. But if you do, that’s fine with me. I was just wondering if anybody else felt the same way as I do, as it seems very few people do!

I would say that it’s not quite the same thing as music though. Any able bodied person can play sport, whereas being a musician takes a lot of practice and hard work. Also, music by its nature is meant to be listened to – that’s why musicians and composers create music in the first place!

I go along with “Akacra” and his Wall o’ Text above quite strongly. My “sport” is more mundane and practical — workouts halfway between fitness model work and physical therapy. I would like to think I’m challenging the male aging process, but I’m really just making slow progress healing up old subclinical skeletal distortions (loosely overseen by a new-age chiropractor).

“The Media” (and its socioeconomic structure) looms very large in interpreting your impressions and Akacra’s. The media puts on a show for us at a primitive level of emotional involvement to reach a massive audience and putative field of financial conquest. This process can be very invasive, I think, and scientific deliberation, in spirit, usually doesn’t fit into that process, and even shows signs of challenging the healthfulness of “The Media” (per se) for the general welfare.

Just an opinion, for now. I’ll study what I just wrote.

Hi Sachiko,

I really don’t care for sports either, never have. Most of my friends are armchair quarterbacks and can’t hold a conversation unless it’s something sports related. I’m the opposite and can handle different topics except when it comes to sports. The way I look at it is that one team is going to win and the other will lose. To get all bent out of shape because your team didn’t when is just silly because your team isn’t going to win all the time, but my friends will act like three-year olds all the time if there team doesn’t win.

Like you said, sports is a good way to get exercise and it’s supposed to help develop communication and leadership skills in children but I’ve rarely seen anyone get into sports for the last two reasons.

For the most part I see people get into sports with the dreams that either they or their kids will be the next star athelete and can get picked up with a professional team and become instant millionares. Unfortunately unless they’re the best of the best of the best, they aren’t getting that dream job, which is just that, a dream. There are only a few thousand professional positions in the U.S. and there are hundreds of thousands of people trying out every year. So mathmatically most people will go home disappointed due to lack of available positions.

Even if they get the position it’s no guarantee they’ll be successfull. They also have to worry about injuries that will take them out of the game permanently, paralized, or killed. A few years ago 20/20 or 60 Minutes had a story about retired professional athletes and most had some kind of physical disability from getting hit all over their bodies for years.

Then you have the high-profile athletes who can’t stay out of the news because they’re cheating on their spouses, dealing drugs, abusing drugs, gambling, animal abuse, .etc. Their devoted misguided fans think their hero athlete is a victim in these cases and should be given another chance or blame it on someone else.

As for the Olympics, I’ll watch the opening and closing ceremonies and some of the winter games. I won’t be glued to the tube but I’ll watch it for a little while if it’s something interesting like figure skating and the different skiing events. Other than that I’m doing someting else.

Okay, I’ll get off my soapbox.

Thanks John – I think you’ve expressed the way I feel about this matter very well!

Hope this doesn’t come off sounding disrespectful… Just meant to be more of a “challenge” to you. I’m personally a huge sports fan, so you probably know where I’m going with this.

I have a certain amount of respect for both intellectual AND physical pursuits… Simply because it’s about expanding the range of what we can do WITH our “god given” talents.

Both require a certain amount of hard work and discipline in order to achieve greatness, and I believe both are actually worthy goals in themselves. Simply pushing yourself as far as you possibly can.

Some people got “big brains,” some got “big muscles,” but my personal admiration for them is in what is done WITH those talents.

Admittedly… there is a pretty big disparity in the RESPECT afforded to “intellectuals” as opposed to “physical achievers.”

But, that’s not to say that guys with MAD SMARTS don’t get respect… Stephen Hawking, Albert Einstein, and a myriad of other intellectuals DO get quite a lot of respect… In historical terms… They’re afforded MUCH MORE respect than any great athlete.

Of course… Nobody pays to watch them do “their thing” because… Sadly… There’s nothing to see… and nobody knows what the hell those guys are talking about anyway.

BUT… You’re probably waiting for the “disrespectful sounding” part. Being that a large part of your career (I assume, as I’m not a long time fan… Just found you off of “sirens’).

How do you reconcile garnering recognition for LOOKS? Which, for the most part, is more a matter of “genetic luck” as opposed to an area that is developed through training, studying, or hard work.

Not simply in terms of “keeping yourself in shape” which many people that are NOT blessed with good looks do… And receive absolutely ZERO recognition for.

Anyway… Not meant to give you a hard time… I was just surprised at some of your insights and figured you wouldn’t mind me challenging your views on it.

And good luck with the site… Not sure I’ll become a “regular,” but I WILL ADMIT… This is the LAST THING I expected from a “modeling website.” Very intriguing.

Take care.

Hi Terry,

I don’t think there was anything disrespectful about your comment at all! You are very much entitled to your opinion – indeed, in terms of what you say here, I find it difficult to argue with you.

Truth is, I can’t really accept the idea of being recognised for my looks alone as well – this feels very hollow and shallow to me. That’s why I decided to use my looks as a platform to promote other deeper and more meaningful things. That isn’t to say there’s anything wrong with just enjoying a beautiful women’s looks though – it is one of our most deep seated instincts after all!

That’s good to hear.

I think sometimes people find me a little “too forward” with what I say, but I never mean it to be offensive or dismissive of their values and ideas.

But, I actually did see that “odd side” of you… Seemingly exploring “human depth” alongside of modeling. (which is the only reason I actually posted… No… NOT the modeling part! The DEPTH!)

It did strike me as a little surprising to see the various issues you were exploring here… The “agnostic extremism” was particularly interesting…

Not that I have a problem with superficiality…

In fact… Most of my friends would laugh in my face if I said I went to post on a model’s blog just because she SAID something interesting!

=)

Take care!

I have to reply to Mr TerriAki.

About replying to a model’s blog. Regardless of the reason for doing so.

I was chasing after a model here recently, in southern California. They are in season this time of year and they are plentyful. They multiply here faster than rabbits. So you might think that my little gambit of a couple weeks ago is by far the more silly when compared to yours, where all you did was let your fingers do the walking on the keyboard. I did some of that too and it resulted after some weeks of chase in my invitation to a birthday party up in LA somewhere. Somewhere turned out to be a nondescript hidden bar just 75 feet north of Silvester Stallon’s star on Hollywood Blvd. I had never been there before. But when I saw all those stars in the sidewalk, it kind of dawned on me as to where I was located at. btw, the roundtrip drive was 245 miles and I went there after work and went to work again the next morning bright and early… just before noon, actually. So it was not quite so bright and early. The party was only for 3 hours.

Scenario: Get up a 7-ish go to work come home get ready, grab camera hit the road go back home get blue tooth for cell phone hit road again and get there about 1/4 to 10 and have the bouncer tell you to take a hike. Dutifully walk around the block per instruction of said bouncer and walk in when the bouncer is not paying so much atention, at 10:30 and leave at 1/4 to 2 and get on the 101 highway and head back home. She is pretty, the party girl, her bewbs compare favoribly with Sachiko’s, I took a couple hundred pictures, with a bright flash, none of the muscleheads who wanted her beat me up on account of the bright flash blinding them etc, and I think it was worth it.

Get new friends. Someone I know said I should have spent the night but with all the muscleheads in front of me, that was not likely to happen so I did not ask about the possibilities of which there were likely to not have been any anyways!
Michael