The Final Presidential Debate / Blog Upgrades

So what did everyone think of the final Presidential debate? I see McCain is still desperately trying to whip up a controversy over Obama’s “relationship” with William Ayers, even though (as this video shows) he has a perfectly good explanation for it. It’s just so typical of the Republicans to base their campaign on negative mud slinging, while at the same time their own Vice Presidential candidate is actually convicted of breaking her state’s law by violating the public trust. I’ve been impressed that Obama hasn’t stooped to slinging mud back, even though Palin would have made it very easy for him to do. And even better, the American public seems to be responding very positively to his approach.

In other news, we’ve taken the opportunity today to do some upgrades to the navigation of my blog, which have become necessary as it’s grown. We now list my tags in the lefthand column, so you can more easily find articles on the particular topics that interest you. We’ve also upgraded the archives listing, so you can now go straight to a particular article. Plus we’ve added a related posts feature to each entry, so you can easily go to other articles like the one you’re reading. On top of that, we’ve started using excerpts of the longer posts on the home and archive pages, to make it easier to go through everything and get to what you want to read.

October 28 Update: We have now added an extra “Comments” section in the lefthand column, where you can go to the last 40 comments and subscribe to a comments feed for the entire blog, instead of just individual posts. Of course, you can still subscribe only to specific posts if you want to as well!

Even though this third Presidential debate scored its lowest viewer ship among the previous events, the American people have most likely have chosen their candidate by now. I can never understand the “undecided” voters especially at this moment in history. One would have to be waking out of a long coma, returning from a deserted island or more likely be completely ignorant and uninformed. It’s likely Obama will take over in January with bright ideas, hopes of change but without money to make sweeping changes. We’ll be cleaning up after the 8 year frat boy party. But at least the Republicans will be out of the White House.

What excites me more is that 9 Senatorial seats can be gained by Democrats giving us a majority in the both houses of Congress. Along with Obama’s lead- the Congress can rewind the mad legislation of the past 16 years, end the Iraq War, pass Health Care and Educational Bills, enforce environmental action, open up scientific R&D, encourage renewable energy technology, appoint new supreme court judges and regain America’s self-respect in the world. Remember to vote Democrat locally and statewide too.

There may even be time for criminal action against Bush and members of his administration. The Republicans have economically devastated this country, marched backwards to 1950′s dogma, attempted to create a theocracy, waged pre-emptive attacks across the world, stripped personal rights of citizens by eavesdropping, jailed people w/o charge or trial.
In short moved us closer to Fascism than at any time before. But we can stop all the chaos
and despair on November 3rd by simply voting for Obama and for every Democrat in your district and state. Then the real work is ahead.

Peace,

Doug Ross

people are hungry for the end to politics like mccain’s. he may have claimed he isn’t bush- but sentient americans know that he is a continuation. otherwise, he would run on an actual platform and not have to sling mud. you know, like obama :)

obama/biden is not my ideal ticket but it’s as close as i can get realistically. both men are intelligent, thoughtful and seemingly bipartisan so we have a shot at governance. if only congress would get on board.

What’s the matter? Is the economy crumbling and your poll numbers tumbling as fast as the stock market?

Well, call JOE THE PLUMBER!!

Is your attempts to paint your opponent as a tax and spend liberal who pals around with terrorist just not working?

Well, call JOE THE PLUMBER!!

Does your hockey mom Vice Presidential candidate have a nervous twitch in her left eye which makes her unable to remember the Bush Doctrine?

Well, call JOE THE PLUMBER!!

Joe the Plumber can unclog any undecided voter’s mind in a minute, getting your campaign back on track and reversing those poll numbers. He can push you and your inept running mate into the White House! Just remember, the last name is WURZELBACHER, not Wurzelberger!!

Thanks Gotbeer, that was hilarious! :-D

Thanks for your comments too Doug and betmo – I couldn’t agree more.

Sachiko, I think it’s great that you’re willing to be open about your political views and commentary on the social structure of America’s political machine. Personally, I do still believe that any man _could_ be President, but there are mechanisms in place to prevent _any_ person from taking this nation’s highest office.
While you make connections between the current state of American democracy to the tyranny of monarchies which the nation’s architects fought so hard to break away from, I recall that our forefathers wanted to grant only the intellectual elite the right to vote. Yes, we haven’t grown much from those days, limiting the candidates to those who are well connected in the political abyss, but we are still a fairly open mechanism.
Growing up in Hawaii, I understand Senator Obama’s belief that we should help the middle class. It is ingrained upon us that everything is about the middle class. Outside of Detroit, I think we might be the most unionized polity in the USA. That being said, I also fear that Obama’s plans (in their advertised forms) shall do more harm than good. Increasing programmes aimed at helping the middle class at the expense of the upper class do not work. Eventually, the upper class citizenry simply move off-shore or manipulate the tax code to neutralize any tax increases. The programmes then lack necessary funding and are declared unsustainable and, therefore, void.
It’s disappointing that Senator McCain has changed his approach to the political machine, having surrendered to the Republican right, in an effort to capture their support. The reality is, this year they have no choice. If he stayed true to his beliefs, the Republicans would have voted for the lesser Socialist, anyway. Now I wonder if he ever believed his own views on social welfare and bettering the middle class… or if all of that was simply talk.
In any case, I cast my vote for McCain, but I can honestly say Obama won every debate. The first debate really inspired me to be an American, and I hope others had a chance to see Obama’s stature and conviction. He really does believe that he can change America, and reminds me of Bill Clinton.

Hi Dane,

It seems your only real criticism of Obama is his tax policies, but I think that is very much open to debate. The simple fact is, low taxes for the rich have never actually worked anywhere in practice, and the effects of economic policy are often very difficult to predict – just look at the current mess!

What isn’t open to debate however is how much the other policies of the republicans are screwing up the US and the rest of the world, and quite frankly, I think this is infinitely more important than who gets what tax breaks. And if the aging McCain gets in, the very real possibility of Palin succeeding him is frightening to say the least. I think the fact that Obama won every debate means something: he is a man of vision, diplomacy and great intellect, which have been sorely lacking in American politics for the last eight years. And I don’t think we can afford to go for another term without them.

I do believe that the Republicans cannot have as much power and authority over the world that everyone seems to give to them. So, that is just what it is.

I just watched the SNL appearance of Gov Palin, and it was actually quite humorous. I think the Republicans are still trying to be the “party of everyman” which is utterly ridiculous.

I actually think it’d be somewhat entertaining to have Palin be President. Senator Clinton would forever live with the fact that she effectively lost to the man who allowed the female version of President Bush into the White House. Honestly, the party needs to stop having imbeciles represent our nation… first Quayle, then Bush, now Palin. This really needs to stop.

I absolutely agree, and it remains my biggest problem with the republicans – you can’t have an imbecile as president and have good government.

good government… now THAT’s a oxymoron!!

anybody can be in government that wants to.
they just have to be elected, they do not have to be good!!

well, I did my civic duty. I went to the postoffice and picked up…
my special interest magazine!!! And they were exhorting people to vote against The-Other-Two-Guys and had stapled a added cover page to the outside for that special purpose. I even looked at one-and-a-half of those two pages. And I figured that they probably convinced more than one main stream Voter to vote The Other Way and since there is only one of me I deceded to save the price of a stamp and I did not register yet again, one more year.

I will wait to see who gets elected and then I can send email to them and save the price of a stamp again. For me, it is not who runs, but who gets elected that will influence the vote on bills, and make the backroom deals that affect our laws so I will spend my time now and then with the email if something I am interested in rises to my level of awareness.

But it was touch and go… you ALMOST had me vote for one you did not favor!!!

Can’t have a imbecile for votors either? ;)