Happy New Year (Mostly)

It is with mixed feelings that I wish all my readers and fans a happy new year. On the one hand, we have much to look forward to in 2009, not the least of which being the end of what really has been one of the worst disasters to hit the US (and indeed the entire world), the Bush administration. Still, I just can’t help feeling outraged right now at the unrestrained carnage being undertaken by Israel in Gaza. I just cannot comprehend how the US government has been able to continuously use its veto power to prevent the UN from taking action to stop Israel’s aggression in Palestine. I can only hope the Obama administration will join the rest of the world in condemning Israel’s actions, and making them comply with international law—it is critical not only for the Palestinians, but for the peace and security of the entire world. Indeed, I suspect Israel may be doing this now because they believe they won’t be able to get away with it after January 20—we can only hope that is indeed the case.

The Jews should never have been allowed to take over Palestine.

They have their “Promised Land”, it is called USA.

GregInVancouver

GregInVancouver

Happy New Year Sachiko.

At a New Years party last night myself and a group of friends were discussing if there was anything to look forward to in 2009 and we were having a hard time coming up with ideas. We agreed that for the average person the financial outlook isn’t as bad as the media makes it out to be. You will still be able to buy food, have a place to live buy little luxuries, etc.

The people who have been affected are those that the government let down by allowing the banks free reign to lend to anyone and, although it may seem cold to say so, the fault of the people themselves who allowed themselves to live beyond their means, existing only on credit. Financial security can only come through personal responsibility and that has been sadly lacking in a country who’s message is “Anyone can have anything you want”. A lesson has been learned and the United States is large enough to recover from the current tribulations albeit with some short-term pain.

On the world event side, even the current aggression in Gaza is just another chapter in a 2000 year-old book. In our societies it is hard to comprehend children being taught in schools to hate and distrust another religious or ethnic group to the point arms are taken up as soon as they are old enough but in that is the reality in the traditional Muslim and Jewish worlds. The United States’ insistence on supporting Israel and blocking UN action is short-sighted in the extreme and hurts the US from a world perspective. Obama has been careful in wording how his policies may be towards Israel but the “No blank check” phrase indicates to me he recognizes that the current no-questions, no-conditions support cannot continue. Maybe Israel recognizes this also and began this offensive before Obama gets in.

If I made any kind of New Year’s resolution it is to not let myself get caught up in events that do not affect me and which I can do nothing to effect. The media paints a far too pessimistic picture and we need to take a much bigger-picture view of the world. The old adage of “Think Globally Act Locally” should be the catchphrase for the year. My own little project is something called interculturalism.org, that seeks to address the cultural conflicts present in and deficiencies of current “multicultural” communities.

Even if the land taken by Israel in 1948 and the Golan Heights can be justified on defensive grounds, the building of Jewish settlements all over Palestine and the monopolization of Jerusalem never should have been permitted. Shame on the United States for allowing and encouraging Israel to do this.

Even if some kind of response to Hamas is necessary, Israel has been targetting civilians and public buildings, and has been largely indifferent to the number of “collateral” casualties that occur.

P.S. Sachiko–Here is another telling quote from the most recent book by 2008 Nobel-prize winning economist Paul Krugman, The Return of Depression Economics, on page 164:

“But this warning was ignored, and there was no move to extend regulation. On the contrary, the spirit of the times–and the ideology of the Bush administration–was deeply antiregulation. This atitude was symbolized by a photo-op held in 2003, in which representatives of the various agencies that play roles in bank oversight used pruning shears and a chainsaw to cut up stacks of regulations. More concretely, the Bush administration used federal power, including obscure powers of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, to block state-level efforts to impose some oversight on subprime lending”.

The prevailing attitude of the Bush administration can be summed up as: Blind Faith in the military, Blind Faith in free markets, Blind Faith in God.

Happy New Year–starting January 20!

Well we can’t get a do-over from 1948 so we must deal with political situation at hand. Israel must recognize the PLO and Hamas as an equal government entity and allow them to establish ties in the UN. PLO and Hamas must stop the rocket attacks and begin behaving like responsible adults. I lived in the Middle East and am ashamed at the childish behavior by all parties. The US aids billions yearly to Israel and needs to reconsider the blank check policy. The Arab people need to grow up and become mature enough to handle relations with the Jews and the rest of the world. The current leaders there use religion as a yolk and burden to divide all by using dogma and ancient grudges to continue the wars. It’s good business for them and gives them power over their citizens.

There’s no clearer message that needs sunlight than from Saudi Arabia where the majority of the 9/11 terrorists came from. I lived there and researched the reasons why everyone are so stuck in revolving cycle of misery, violence and ignorance. UNESCO did a study in 2004 by all Arabic doctors and researchers that revealed the big secret no one wishes to admit – incest.

I first discovered the truth from my wife’s friends who were nurses at the large hospitals in Saudi. The majority of nurses were Chinese like my wife who were assigned to massive dorms of children with severe birth defects. Mental and physical retardation beyond belief, these poor kids are warehoused in the thousands hidden away from the parents and public. Uncle and niece, first cousins, even Father and daughters commit incest then dispose of the disabled kids to the hospitals. The shame is so great, the doctors are from Lebanon and Egypt because in Saudi culture (ie: Islamic dogma) forbids them from touching unclean humans. Thus you hire Chinese nurses to do all the dirty work. This is mix of insane religious beliefs and just plain dysfunctional people. UNESCO believes in one more generation the population may become sterile because of the degenerating chromosome damage. Only marriage outside tribal and religious groups with save them.

When the terrorists attacked and killed 22 of my neighbors (Expats from Europe, Asia and US) in June 2004 at Khobar, I wasn’t surprised they were able to escape even after the Oasis compound was surrounded by hundreds of Saudi Emergency Services troops. Impotent and obsolete, indeed. I was at the standoff and when I found out that fact- I called BBC and CNN on my mobile phone. Only then did the US government put pressure on KSA to track down the killers who conveniently escaped to Dhamam 20 miles away. The dead American Frank Floyd and I flew back to New York via KLM one week later.

In conclusion, the leaders in the Middle East are responsible for the dysfunctional behavior of the populace by using religion to divide and brainwash the masses. Israel and the Palistinians will continue to battle as long we fund both sides with military aid and encourage the cycle of death.

Perhaps there will be reason and civility but it must begin with sound leadership from all sides. It has to end someway, someday.

Wow, your story is pretty eye-opening Doug, although when you think about it not really surprising: incest, as well as other forms of sexual abuse, is an inevitable result of extreme sexual suppression.

As I’ve said before, the establishment of Israel where it is now – and the Islamic extremism that has sprung up as a response to it – is a prime example of why I think religion must end, if we are ever to have lasting, global peace. Of course religion isn’t the only thing that leads to war, but as long as it exists, serious and intractable conflict will remain. Europe is a great example of how we have been able to move beyond territorial disputes, and it is gratifying that colonialism is no longer considered acceptable, even though it was standard practice only half a century ago. But the west’s last great act of colonialism (the establishment of Israel in Palestine) has possibly been the most dangerous of all. The only reason Israel was established where it was is because the Bible says it should be there, otherwise putting it there would have been considered absolute insanity. And it was insanity.

Oh, and I agree with Mark: I don’t think it will really be a happy new year until January 20. :-)

Mark, I was wondering what you think would happen if The USA stopped all foreign aid worldwide including aid to both Israel and Palestine? What do you think would happen in the Middle East Region? Would the money just be replaced by Zionist and Islamist organizations from outside the boundaries of Israel/Palestine so the inhabitants could keep killing each other? @Doug Ross -

Sachiko, I don’t think that the US is going to suddenly turn into Fairieland after Jan. 20. I voted for the new Man, but I have been around for too long to believe anything can ever truly change for the better in the long run. Money always wins. Money begets Power. Power begets Corruption. I believe that human beings find themselves so destestable that they seek a higher incorruptible being out of desperation. And then , of course, the corrupt use that desperation for their own gain. I still hope Citizen Obama can make a difference, and closing down the infamous hellhole on the tip of Cuba is a symbolic first step. But he has an entire congress addicted to Corporate money and they aren’t going to go “cold turkey” on his say so. As for me, I hope to be able to retire soon to some quiet temporate spot in South America where no one is dependent on foreign oil, food, or wine. And the air and water are cool and pure as they descend from the Andes.@Sachiko -

Hi Robert,

You are very right of course. No matter how much good will Obama might have, he won’t be able to act alone, and the extraordinary power of the Jewish lobby in Washington will remain (thanks as you say to money, and lots of it). I remain hopeful he will be able to make some positive changes, but I doubt he will be able to do what really needs to be done to quickly bring Israel into line (cutting aid).

I can agree with former President Jimmy Carter when he said emphatically, in news interviews before international audiences a few years ago, that Israel was a mistake. When queried in disbelief, among implied demands to retract what he said, Carter only stressed further that, though initially well-intentioned, it was nevertheless a mistake. With the advent of Obama, over and against these last-ditch attempts, in Gaza, to provoke global conflict through Israel’s pseudo-Zionist extremist elements, there seems to be a significant chance of seeing that big mistake undone. That would cause consternation for many — especially for the financiers that might be caught supplying arms to the various factions of the conflict…

How much liability should the US assume? In fact, Israeli forces have attacked at least one unarmed US survey vessel near Israel, and certain US families still display pictures of loved ones lost to Israeli-deployed torpedoes. Did Israelis act tough because a foreign US ship came too close to their land? Apparently they have felt, from time to time, that they have OTHER sponsors among which they might more profitably curry favor.