Debaptise Yourself!

I’ve just found out about this great story from The Feethinker (thanks Joe!). Apparently, in just the last week alone, 1500 people in Britain paid for Certificates of Debaptism from the National Secular Society! Indeed, this has prompted Religious Intelligence to run a poll asking if Anglicanism should provide a service for people to annul their baptism (as Rome already does, apparently)—be sure to cast your vote! The atheist movement really is starting to gather strength across the world, isn’t it?

Tags: , ,

But Sachiko–that’s sacrilegious! Is nothing sacred?

Very impressive. I hope this becomes worldwide. That is one certificate that I would love to have. The Internet has definitely helped the atheist movement.

I have a question for you Sachiko–in your yoga video you referred to yoga as being the unity of mind, body and spirit–and you seemed to imply that you took “spirituality” as seriously as you took the mental and physical aspects of your life. DO you espouse or believe in some kind of spiritual realm? DO you take spirituality seriously and yet dismiss religion as so much superstition?

Hi Mark,

Actually, when we shot the video, my producer Lee expressed concern about this too. What I mean to say is that the union of body, mind and spirit is literally what yoga means, but that doesn’t mean I personally believe in a spiritual realm. I explain how I interpret it in my next sentence, in that I feel yoga is beneficial for both the body and the mind, so isn’t just physical exercise. I hope that’s clear!

Unable or unwilling to observe “spirit” in or acting upon self?

If all the earth’s mass were concentrated at a point in the center, the intensity of the gravitational force coming from that center would increase at an ever accelerating rate, far beyond the perceived surface gravity, as one dug steadily deeper and deeper toward that center. But in the real earth, if one would think about it more carefully, one would dig in some distance, and begin to find that the net pull toward the center had measureably decreased. Extrapolating ahead, and placing oneself in the center in the mind’s eye (in defiance of ambient pressures around 3,000,000 atmospheres and probaby hellish temperatures), one finds that at the very center region of the “Source” there is no gravity at all.

Wasn’t there a certain Asian person-of-wisdom who, in ancient or even actually prehistoric times, opined that becoming truly “centered” within the ambience of the Creator would seem, for some, that such devotions had made God appear to exist no longer? I forgot which one said that, or words to that effect…

I was actually baptised Catholic, but my mother was horrified at the diabolical implications of the words of the ceremony, as spoken in behalf of her baby. She was a natural abstract thinker, and brought up short by the intrusion of a God associated with the stark dichomomy of good and evil. My folks then tried to bring me up as a positive-thinking middle-class US protestant. But besides the baptism, which was never annulled, there was a peculiar cluster of other diabolic-seeming events and symbols that also cropped up in my babyhood. The facts of history are hard to undo, whichever way our memories of them might be skewed.

Debaptism is an excellent idea and one really worth considering. The only possible problem is that sometimes a record of baptism can be used as a form of proof of citizenship. Still, I think actually having all records of your baptism destroyed and denouncing the event is a worth any possible future heartburn. Thanks to Sachiko for the suggestion.