Atheist Nexus Is One Year Old Tomorrow!

Just before I launched this blog, another new atheist site was launched—Atheist Nexus. Basically, it is a social networking site exclusively for non-theists. As you can see I am on there, but sadly I haven’t had much time for it, as I devote all my free social networking time to this blog. But as my readership obviously has a lot of non-theists, I thought you might be interested in joining. They are aiming to reach 10,000 memberships on their anniversary, and as you can see, they’re very close!

“..site exclusively for..” — no, thanks.

It is exclusive so people have a place for support and not debate. If people want to debate there are plenty of places for that.

I live in the deep religious South. I have found many friends through Nexus. At least that’s my two cents.

I am not an atheist, but I also do not call myself a christian. I follow the truth, and the truth I follow is not a book, or a church. It’s a person, who is also the God of the universe. I do not pretend to be perfect, or even desire to convince someone that the truth I follow in Jesus is real. But I am open to helping others discover his truth in their own life. I truly believe we are all his children and he loves us enough that he is looking for us, even if we are not looking for him. The truth I folow does not condemn, even though most who say they follow the same truth I do condemn and judge people. The truth I follow offers freedom. Freedom to choose and walk in his truth which is the only life I have found in this world that truly does not disappoint. I will be praying for everyone who visits this site and the one mentioned that they will be open to their fathers voice.

@anonymous – How can you define something for which there is absolutely no concrete evidence whatsoever as “the truth”? Just believing something because you want to doesn’t make it the truth.

@Anne – Welcome to my blog Anne! What you say is exactly the point – it is sadly very difficult for an atheist to find a place (especially online) where somebody isn’t trying to convert us (such as the poster above!). I hope we hear more from you in future – it’s nice to have more ladies posting here. :-)

@anonymous – from your (mercifully brief) post here I see that you could probably make a lot of money in America, as one of these television “evangelists”. go for it.. ;)

About 30 years ago, when I wasn’t getting much sleep due to a demanding job, wife, children, owning a house, etc., my creative mind began to think up a scenario for a new religion which I named: THE CHURCH OF EVERLASTING SLUMBER. As I was the family cartoonist, this concept unfolded in my mind as comedic relief. “Church Services” were conducted in a large room with mattresses to lie upon. Instead of ritual or sermon, relaxing music was played while candles scented with vanilla created an aroma-therapy atmosphere. The whole idea was to catch up on sleep that was missing in our workaday lives. (So many people sleep in church anyway).

Yawning and snuggling were encouraged. However loud snoring that might awaken others of the faith was discouraged. Death was celebrated as the ultimate achievement, as it was considered to be truly EVERLASTING
SLUMBER. There was no worship of god/gods. It was simply a communal sleep. In retrospect, I wonder if having a large reclining Budda on “the alter” might have been a good example to the faithful? But then I’m afraid that would have created the seed for idol worship and caused a deep shism within the church which, of course would have lead ro discord and inevitable violence.

Thanks Robert, that was hilarious! Still, I think your church really would benefit many people today. ;-)

YAY for Atheist Nexus!

I have been promoting their anniversary!

Now if only more atheists in New Brunswick would join…

Sachiko: So glad you enjoy my sense of humour.

@Sachiko – Yes I’m sure it would too. When I look at the young married couples in my neighborhood who both work fulltime outside the home, are raising 2 – 3 children, and chauffeuring the tots to every activity imaginable, I cannot help but think what utter chaos their lives must be. It seems surreal.

Yeah – I’ve never been able to understand how people find the time (or the money!) to raise children. :-)

Joseph Weinstein

Joseph Weinstein’s avatar

This is pretty cool. Pretty funny commentary. I know a new social network site for atheists (that wasn’t started by recent converts of only 1 year who make christian websites for a living and ex-ministers, but real reality-seers) called: AtheistSocial.com.

No constraversy in your life neccessary to join!

Sachiko… I know you dont belive in God, the Devil, Heaven or Hell, but when your nasty ass dies, and you will go to hell as your Blasphemy Video proclaims what will you do then???? Just because you have big fake titties doesnt mean there is nothing after you die or does it??? No, please, dont answer, your words dont mean shit… Also about freedom of speech.. This is America, if you dont like our laws, go to another country and live their ways.. Im sick of the foreign people coming to the country I fought for in the GULF and trying to change our values for which our for-fathers establised this country on. If you dont like it, simply take your Old wrinkled pussy ass out and move some place else, unless you are already there and if thats the case, please, DO NOT EVER try to come live here in my country!!!

While I wouldn’t normally allow such a nasty comment to be posted, I am doing so in this case to demonstrate the pathetically small-minded (and extremely angry) attitude of so many far right wing conservative Americans. Let’s tear this ignorant moron’s comments apart point by point, shall we?

Bad luck! As you’ve posted your comment on my blog, you’re going to get my response. Clearly my words do mean something, or else you wouldn’t have posted this comment in the first place. And my words are this: there is no hell, and nothing happens when you die (whether you have titties or not).

I love how far right wing conservatives do this – they go on about freedom of speech, then they don’t let anybody who disagrees with them have their say! America’s laws give me the right to say what I think, as well as the right to any religious belief – or as in my case, no religious belief. It is you who doesn’t respect America’s laws – so don’t be such an ultra hypocrite, and practice what you preach!

Actually, I am the one fighting for the values America’s forefathers (not for-fathers!) founded the US constitution on – freedom of speech, freedom of religion and the separation of church and state. It is an absolute myth that America was founded on Christian values – it was founded on secular values. I am not trying to suppress anyone’s rights, or change the values you supposedly fought for – you are.

The fact that you have to use such nasty, insulting and abusive language shows that – deep down – you really don’t believe in what you think you believe in. Otherwise you wouldn’t be so angry and defensive, and would be able to make your case in a far more calm, confident and rational manner. You also once again demonstrate how utterly ignorant you are (otherwise you’d know where I am).

If you are able to read, I suggest you study my Why Conservative Middle America Is So Angry post.