Fear Of Common Sense?

Thanks to a tip from Firefly, I’ve just learned about the ridiculous controversy sparked by President Obama’s recent address to the students of America. Although (as the video above shows) it was a completely non-political pep talk, conservative parents tried to prevent their children from watching it, and some schools in conservative areas provided their students with opt-in forms, requiring their parents to give written consent for their children to watch the President’s speech! They say it’s to prevent their children from being brainwashed by a left wing political agenda, but once again, there was no political content in Obama’s speech whatsoever. I think what it’s really about is a fear that if their children watched Obama’s speech, they might find that what he says makes a lot of sense, and that—heaven forbid—they might actually like him. Is there any better example of how the far right tries to suppress even the most basic information, for fear that it may expose their fragile beliefs? After all, if their belief system wasn’t so fragile, then why are they so afraid of open discussion and information, even when it’s completely apolitical, or just plain common sense? How can they be so hypocritical as to cite freedom of speech, while suppressing any speech from anyone on the left?

I think some of these misguided people were worries that Obama was going to “brainwash” our children with “Socialist” propaganda. If my children were that easily influenced, I would have a neater house.

This may hurt some feeling on this board but I really believe that race as played a role in all of this because President Reagan, Bush I & II and President Clinton have all made speeches to classroom students without any complaint from parents and now that the first African-American President make an address to students it becomes a problem.

Fear of (fill in the blank)…educated, secular, black, liberal, intelligent…..and anything the evangelical conservative propagada machine wants you to be afraid of.

I believe that the U.S. has reached, yet again, in it’s peaks and valleys of history, an era of polarization so severe as to compare with interwar depression Germany. The far right is in such shock of losing control of the Presidency and Congress when they had it all for 8 years, that they react to the most innocent of actions with total reactionary insanity. They think they still own the game, and they will steal the ball and deflate it if possible because the end justifys the means. We have witnessed some of the worst behavior, most outlandish propaganda, bullyish activity, and outright deceit from a cadre of boors who spend most of their time listening to hate radio.

Conservative Republicans are basically greedy, selfish, elitists who have made a religion out of the control of money and power. Their mantra is: I have accumulated wealth by whatever means possible which is the sole purpose of my life. I will not part with one penny to help another human being. As long as I am lucky(and luck is a huge factor)enough to have my company pay for my health insurance, I don’t care how much it costs, nor how many others go without. As long as I’ve got mine.

In the religion of greed, anyone and anything that proposes change of the status quo for the betterment of fellow human beings is a terrible threat and must be quashed by any means possible.

I feel that the U.S. is going through an era now as dismal as the years leading up to and including our Civil War, and the precivil rights and McCarthy Era.

Well, let’s see…

To propose some historical roots for the expression “Common Sense”:

Thomas Paine spoke of it in his writings to encourage fellow patriots in the time frame leading into the US Revolutionary War, late 1700′s. And in so doing, he also spoke of “times that try men’s (sic) souls”. And in retrospect, Paine seems to have had a fairly broad-based appreciative audience in the aggrieved Colonies, in spite of the lack of an Internet, E-mail venue, and rapid-fire computerized press ready to print whatever it would take to hawk copies and also comply with the preconceived future proposed by the financial elite. But, ironically, those same “merchant princes” of old that perhaps tried the souls of Paine’s contemporaries seem to still be alive today, in spite of “democratic revolutions” around the world, long after several tiers of our own humble mortal ancestors have lived and died. How do they hold out, dear friends?! Is is something to do with the sun, or the natural plan of the Universe? Or is it merely our own humble yearning, in our weaker moments, to trust in some “Others” that might seem to be strong — a sort of natural and innocent negligence… Possibly, a loopole which has been a hard discipline to close tightly enough, historically, to keep our exploiters (and our own exploitive errors within) at bay? I think we are arriving at a point in the Schicksaal of Earth at which we must try to come up with some answers here, and make some decisions, hopefully catching the ears of truly lawful public representatives.

The Obama regime has hit its’ high-water mark. The American national level of anger is rising. And we have more than three years of Obama and his clowns to suffer through. God help our poor country.

I cannot imagine how any sane person could be so deluded as to think Bush was better than Obama.

I gotta admit, I laughed when I heard about the controversy regarding Obama’s address to American schoolchildren. It sounds like the American Right are becoming obsessed with conspiracy theory, like the group of people believing that Obama was born in Kenya and not in Hawaii and that he is a Muslim and a Communist or even worst, an Al-Qaeda member (well maybe not Al-Qaeda member, bit too extreme, but you have to wonder if there are people who believe that, but it wouldn’t be surprising). This whole saga just has to be great comedy, something that should not be taken seriously.

PS. You can call me an idiot but Sachiko, I think you’re hot chick.

Hi Eddie,

If only we could just laugh at them! Unfortunately, these people also vote in what is by far the most militarily powerful country in the world. I used to just laugh at them too, before they voted in Bush…

P.S. I won’t call you an idiot. :-)