India vs. Australia

No, I’m not talking about the cricket—I don’t think I’ll ever be able to understand how anyone could watch a game that goes for five days without slipping into a boredom induced coma. I’m referring to the continued attacks on Indian students in Melbourne (I’m happy to say that this isn’t happening in the part of Australia I live in), the news of which has been a very sad reflection on Australia in the international media. The Victorian police and the Australian government have both tried to deny that there is a racist element to these attacks, but while that may have been true when there were only a few of them, there have been so many now that I think a racist motive must be undeniable to any reasonable person. I don’t believe Australia is a racist country, but like every other country on earth, there are certainly still plenty of racists here. And neither the police nor the government will be able to do much about them while they bury their heads in the sand and pretend they don’t exist.

Indeed, the government and the Australian media seem to have taken to blaming the Indian media for stirring up this problem. Once again, there was originally some truth to this, and I’m sure it did amplify the hatred of the racists behind these attacks. But that doesn’t even come close to being an excuse for these attacks, which really have been happening (and they are continuing to happen, with the result that one Indian man has now been murdered, and another doused and set alight). This is totally and utterly inexcusable, and it has been going on for far too long now. The recent cartoon in the Indian media portraying the Victorian police as the Ku Klux Klan was certainly over the top, but I can understand how they feel—why is it taking so long for the Victorian police to get any leads on these attacks, when they’ve been going on for so long now? It just doesn’t seem to make any sense.

The Australian government and the Victorian police need to stop trying to deny the obvious racist element to these attacks—and trying to blame the Indian media for them—so they can take serious action to stop these terrible crimes. If nothing else, our huge foreign student industry depends on it.

There will always be a strong racist element wherever you go. You can’t escape it. There will always be that contingency of fanatics who believe their race or nationality is superior to everyone else. Prejudice is a fact of this world. People hate other people because they fear them. They fear because they do not understand. They do not understand because their mind is closed. A closed mind is a dangerous mind, because it makes a human into a cornered animal, hostile and unpredictable. They best we can do is try to make them see reason, but if they can’t, we may have to take the fight to them. Reason and logic will always prevail over blind hatred and prejudice. Unfortunately a large percentage of this world will never see that.

Sachiko,

Its so sad to hear Australia blaming it on India and not those racist group in Australia.

OK — for one thing, I’m not specifically very familiar with this Australian problem, but I am glad you brought it out. Historically, both nationalities represented in this standoff have “done time” as British colonies, or posessions. They have both been raided, to a considerable extent, by those that sit atop the British social system and presume to inhabit a priviledged supranational aritstocratic society that holds little respect for any particular nationality, culture, or sovereignty arising from a collective will of common peoples anywhere in the world. And now, we notice India’s emerging determination to assert its own sovereignty, especially as expressed in recent decades by its progress in nuclear technologies (both of the domestic and military kind), largely with cooperation from Russia. In the last weeks most pointedly, India has become very obviously determined to manage and conserve its resources according to its own democratic concensus, while rejecting the carbon cap-and-trade mandates that the remains of the elitist Commonwealth sought to impose upon all nations at Copenhagen. I cannot help but think there must be some connection with recent news of increased hate crimes against “Indians” to the preferences of “the elite”. The elitist financiers (as of old) would gladly “allow” (in the Malthusian sense) Australia and India waste themselves, in critical times like these, in a futile squabble of some sort. There must be a blatant temptation here to induce a divide-and-conquer effect for those who find the idea of Australia-India-Russia-China consensus unpalitable or even just less than obviously favorable for the usual ways and means of cartels, financiers, and the like. I might wager that those elements of the India media that speak with inflammatory idioms about the violence in Australia, the hate groups themselves which perpetrate the crimes, and public officials that condone these excesses with their negligence, must all somehow partake of the same base of financial and ideological support, however indirectly that might be. I stop short of making a religious-sounding statement of judgement against such ideology, but I can tell you that I feel strongly disapproving emotions here, that are not just products of my own individual head.

@Anurag – They aren’t simply blaming it on India – they have just been critical of the Indian media for stirring up anti-Australian sentiment. But instead of criticising the Indian media, I think they should be concentrating on stopping these attacks, and openly admit that there is racism involved.

David of Brisbane

David of Brisbane’s avatar

Hi Sachiko,

You won’t be able to call yourself an Aussie until you love the cricket. ;)

It’s really sad these assaults are happening. They seem to be happening when they are alone or outnumbered by these gangs (of cowards). In the police’s defence the media is only reporting assaults on Indians, we don’t really know how many assaults are occurring on non-Indians. Maybe these gangs aren’t discriminating?

There is definately a culture of violence that has developed into the nightlife. Even in Brisbane I have friends that don’t go to night clubs because they feel there are some people (idiots) that just come to the city looking to get drunk and get into fights.

Ten years ago it wasn’t like this.

not watch, listen! on (BBC) radio, cricket is fabuluous, even in mid-winter you can feel the summer, the heat, the time drift by (and no, I do not understand the game itself).

I like alcove6409′s analysis, it’s full of insight and thought-provoking.

re. the racism.

having come to live in the UK as an adult (from continental Europe) I’d like to add that (a) I still remember the recent, outrageous treatment of Afghan boat-people who were forced to go to Nauru because of Australian ‘concerns’, and (b) that here in the UK we have similar problems to contend with.

to Brad, who says “They fear because they do not understand. They do not understand because their mind is closed.” but still believes that “Reason and logic will always prevail over blind hatred and prejudice.”, my (current) favourite proverb is of Chinese origin:

“A closed mind is like a closed book; just a block of wood”

Originally Posted By David of Brisbane

If the gangs aren’t particularly discriminating against Indians, then there must be hundreds of these attacks going on. The media would certainly be reporting that if it were the case, so I’m sure it isn’t.

That’s one of many reasons why I never go to night clubs!

Originally Posted By jr

I think that’s actually why people say they “like” the cricket – because it is the ultimate time waster. But I hate wasting time – there’s just so many more useful and productive things I could be doing!

This incident – and the election result that sprang out of it – is possibly the most shameful episode in Australia’s history. And sadly, it has left a permanent scar on Australian politics – the current more progressive government is now trying to taking a fairer and more compassionate approach to asylum seekers, but they have to appear to be to “tough” to many Australian voters. On the other hand, the conservatives are still spouting the same racist crap disguised as “law and order”, and a lot of Australian voters are buying it, as the media loves whipping up a storm of hysteria around it. I have little doubt that this is a contributing factor to these racist attacks: John Howard played the race card in order to win what would otherwise have been an unwinnable election for him – something no other Australian Prime Minister has been dishonourable enough to do, and with very good reason.

Originally Posted By alcove6409*snipped for length reduction*

now I would simply say TL;DR to discredit you, but considering I actually read that long block of text I find many problems with your logic. First of all, it isn’t the “privileged elite” that are pushing this move for environmental reform and preservation, it is everyone. if the faction you call “the privileged elite” had their way. This world would sink into a premature ice age. Furthermore it is not the “elite” as you call them perpetrating these crimes of hate and suppression against indians, it is once again the average man and/or woman. The only thing that the Australian authorities are guilty of is denial. They and their superiors don’t want to admit that their supposedly “peaceful nation” has a big problem with racists and those who spread hate propaganda. You should mind your thoughts before you type them out or speak them, lest you wish to sound completely and utterly ridiculous.

Originally Posted By jrSachiko writes: “..cricket – I don’t think I’ll ever be able to understand how anyone could watch..”

I like alcove6409′s analysis, it’s full of insight and thought-provoking.

re. the racism.

“A closed mind is like a closed book; just a block of wood”

That proverb is strangely appropriate. I rather like it.

@Brad
“it isn’t the “privileged elite” that are pushing this move for environmental reform and preservation, it is everyone.”
…. Brad, certain proposed environmental reforms, such as mitigation of assumed sea-level rise due to global warming, are based upon unproven and inadequately researched hypotheses that have been popularized because of huge media coverage. Only factions with horrendous financial clout and political resources are likely to direct public opinion thusly. Who got the money together to get Al Gore’s “Inconvenient Truth” published, distributed, and widely read and exposed on TV, in goodly time for the recent Copenhagen affair? It wasn’t you, I, or Sachiko, was it? The world’s audience of commoners was indeed rightly concerned, and somewhat vulnerable to scare tactics. However, draconian carbon-use rationing linked to extralegal taxation scemes imposed by an imperialist and supranational financial entity (as proposed in Copenhagen) would not be a rational choice for “all of us”. There ARE exceptions (not just me)…a substantial answer to the WHOLE world’s environmental challenges would have to be coming from much better science than that represented at Copenhagen. The financial “upper crust” is not competent to engineer either a substantial global warming or cooling, let alone manage true economic reform….it mostly just continues its ancient parasitic manipulations — allowing whatever abuses that might induce — until the bitter end.

Originally Posted By alcove6409@Brad

This is why I HATE conspiracy theorists, They’re too paranoid for their own good. That and they just think too damn much. Please do a little more research before you decide to refute me again with accusations and little, if no proof to back them up. Your “theories”, such as they may be fly directly in the face of reality, such as it may be. These environmental reforms hold no value or benefit to the rich and powerful. If anything it will only force them to spend money on something they feel like they shouldn’t have to pay for. You really need to look at the facts of the situation before you come to your own conclusions. Once again, reason and logic will always prevail over those with closed minds, and you sir have a closed mind.

I have to heartily agree with Brad on this one. If people want to speculate on conspiracy theories, the first thing they have to do is establish motive. And it is blatantly obvious that rich industrialists will want to maintain their profits, hence they will try to oppose action on climate change. The idea that the environmental movement is some rich people’s conspiracy just doesn’t make any sense.

Oh, and a belated welcome to my blog Brad!

NOTE: several follow-up comments on this subject have been moved to their own post on this topic.