Tell the Republicans To Stop Inciting Violence!

I am very sorry about the lack of posts recently, but the reaction to my new sexy Bible readings has been overwhelming! Anyway, I’ve been intending to do a detailed article on the passing of Obama’s health care plan and the reaction to it, but I wanted to get a post up quickly to bring this petition to everyone’s attention: Tell the Republican Party to STOP Inciting Tea Party Racism! The extremism and hatred of the American right in what is supposed to be a civilised country is simply astonishing.

America’s right wing has always worried me.

Their racisim and xenophobia make the UK right wing nutters seem almost tame by comparison.
I’ve read on the ‘net some of their views and they are truly astonishing. Rednecks jump on this sort of bandwagon – those who believe the UN wants to rule America, those who believe that Hitler had the right idea, and those for whom the right to own a gun is the word of god, and the conspiracy nuts who believe in some phantom New World Order.
And the world doesn’t need people like that with power…

America is like some scary big animal – and the rest of us can only hope that it doesn’t wake up in a bad mood. If these loonies got into Washington then that bad mood could literally turn ballistic!

Paul (El Paso, TX USA)

Paul (El Paso, TX USA)’s avatar

Unfortunately, as good and great a country as the US is, stupid people with stupid ideas and attitudes can diminish this. Fortunately they are in the minority and are counterbalanced by sane and rational people. The stupid ones fear that with the election of our first black president, somehow the advantages they have enjoyed for so long will disappear. as a result of this fear, they lash out at what they feel the threat is…the president an all he tries to accomplish.

I love the recent Harris Poll:

Obama is the anti-Christ? I guess that figures, because he is also a Hitler-like Muslim Socialist.

Thanks for that link Christopher – very interesting, informative… and frightening (but not surprising).

I just watched the video again and I still cannot believe that allegedly intelligent people can act this way.

Posing with M16 rifles?
Death threats??
Anthrax scares???
All of this because of a bill to reform health care so that all Americans can benefit from it?

And Americans wonder why the rest of the world is either afraid of or hates them?
Get a GRIP!

The UK may be a dump, with a useless government but at least we don’t deliver death threats and wander around with bloody assault rifles!

It is actually not the republicans that are inciting the violence. What they are doing is raising opposition against the Democrats. The real root of the problem is the fundamentalist christian militias (ya know, its better to call them terrorists). They, along with the ever present white supremacy groups and other assorted hate groups are taking the message of the republicans the wrong way and are bringing to bear all of their force on politicians of the democratic party, whether or not they had anything to do with healthcare reform. I think it is wrong to pin this surge of violence on the republicans simply because they never explicitly or implicitly told these groups to go commit these violent acts that they are committing right now. I would liken blaming the republicans for this mess to blaming video games for youth violence. Neither make much sense logically and only serve to further widen the schism between people, thereby increasing hatred and violence. Simply put, now isn’t the time to be pointing fingers.

First of all, I think the “tea party” crowd is quite bizarre. I also think the Republicans are shooting themselves in the foot for being so intransigent in terms of solving the nation’s problems. They might not agree with the Democrats on all the issues, but they have taken a position of not wanting to give the Democrats any legislative victories, even if they would also be able to claim credit for them.

Having said that, the video you posted is just a “hit piece”. It uses clever editing, taking things out of context, selective clips, etc. to paint a much darker picture than what is actually occurring. This is the new thing over here, Republicans do it to Democrats and Democrats do it to Republicans. Michael Moore does it all the time. You have to take it with a grain of salt. There are extremes on both sides and today with far more media outlets, both sides put out these propaganda pieces that distort the other side’s position.

Please remember that outlets such as Fox News normally have 1-3% of Americans watching them at any one time. They are not media powerhouses! But when you read about them, they are compared to each other so it seems as if their viewership is much larger than it actually is, and the media also act like they have much larger audiences.

The Tea Party crowd is a curiosity but I wouldn’t get too worried about them. The media loves them because they’re always good for a story.

Well said swampy, well said.

Hello Sachiko!

I have been following your blog for some time but have not replied for a long time. I agree with Swamp Rat. The Tea Party crowd is quite bizarre. Especially their new dialect of the English language known as “Teabonics.” I have a relative that is a member and I also have a good friend of mine that is a huge hater of Obama. Both are big fans of right wing talk shows and followers of “Faux News” (Fair and Balanced?). I myself am not a big Obama fan either but must admit that he is a much better man than McSame and our former mistake “W”. I have not followed the political world since he took office but I have been doing research on the Teabaggers. A good friend of mine recently informed me that Ron Paul inspired the Tea Party. It started out as a good idea but when Fox and Palin got involved it became very ugly and I am once again ashamed to be an American.

There is an alternative to this movement that is more civilized that I have been following called the Coffee Party. I do like what the stand for but am not a member.

P.S. I really like your Sachiko’s Sexy Bible Readings: The Story Of Lot. It is one of my favorite Bible stories.

Nice to see you back Joe! Glad you enjoyed my video. :-)

And thanks for the info on the Coffee Party – I will definitely be doing a post on them soon! It’s a shame the Tea Party are getting so much more media attention – I guess they’re more sensational.

View Mobile Site