The Bible On Disciplining Children

Seemingly unable to come up with any genuine criticism of my first Bible reading, Christians mostly responded to it in one of two ways: do the Koran instead, or talk about the “good” stuff in the Bible, such as the ten commandments. So for my second Bible reading, I’ve done exactly that—here’s what the Bible has to say about how to discipline children, so as to comply with the fifth commandment (“honour your father and mother”). I will tackle more commandments in my next few Bible readings.

For this new reading, I’ve also done an extended, topless version for my web site members—this is something I will be doing every month from now on. And even better, so that as many people can see these new videos as possible, I’ve dropped the price of my web site membership to only $9.99 for one month (and $4.99 per month recurring)! Also, so as not to disadvantage anyone who has joined recently, if you joined earlier this year you can claim a $10 credit to use at my online store!

Tags: , , , ,

Hehe very cheeky you naughty girl; 20 lashes on your bare arse.

You got to love the Book of Deuteronomy. Check out this site.

Wow, what a great site – I’ve added it to my links. Thanks again Joe!

Another excellent video reading, Sachiko… this time we get to hear that brutalising kids and stoning them to death is okay.
You really have to wonder at these people.

I saw on another forum a story about the deaths of old people in Japan who live alone. One devout Christian claimed it was because the Japanese are ungodly, so they don’t have compassion, etc… so they don’t look after their elderly relatives.
Really?

My girlfriend is Japanese, and I have never known a more gentle and compassionate person.
Is this what believing in god does for you?
Not only is it okay to beat kids, but non-believers are somehow lesser beings?

Just look at what belief in god has done for world peace… oh, that’s right… there is no world peace.
Okay, look at what god has done for world hunger and poverty.
oops… cocked up there as well.
Hmm… what HAS god brought to the world?
Er…

Sorry, went off on one.

Anyway, great video Sachiko… and I will have to become a member… heh heh

Sachiko this is no more illogical than following the words and orders of Emperor Hirohito or Pol Pot or the Taliban.

No philosophy is perfect, no religion, no person. But if a faith-based group sends teams of earthquake/Tsunami relief specialists to Pakistan, Haiti, and Thailand (Jewish groups from Israel, Christian groups from the United States, and Muslim groups from Turkey), then I support that.

In my travels, I have never met anyone who thinks it is OK to stone children- and I have met many Jews, Christians, Buddhists, pagans, and Muslims. Then again, I don’t hang out in caves where all 100 of these child-stoners probably live.

The previous poster “Iain” seems to be ignorant of what religion can do. Whatever you are trying to find to prove your case- organized religion will have it. Same as any philosophy. Iain, organized religion guides and influences the vast majority of nations. You can say look at all the wars, or you can say look at all the relief they provide. Look at how they conquer disease and poverty. Polio used to destroy and cripple children, but thanks to Christian ministries in Africa, for example, Polio has become virtually eradicated.

Religion is like any other power structure. It can be bad. Your government may still imprison homosexuals, for example. Does that mean you should live in a cave?

Originally Posted By Morris Fine

There’s one great, big, huge difference here: the Bible is supposed to represent God’s moral code.

Sachiko- I am a Christian. The Bible was never presented to me as God’s moral code. The Bible- especially the New Testament, has little of God’s words. It is what followers of a Jewish rabbi (teacher) put together a few hundred years after Christ. A collection of stories and interpretations from people who then called themselves Christians.

Some interpret these stories literally. The majority of Christians I know do not.

There are several priests I know who do in fact battle the church leadership over sexual abuse, marriage for priests, and a bunch of other issues. This happens in every power structure- local and national governments, the military, heck- even employees at Wal-Mart. Only sheep do what they are told.

I too laugh my ass off when I read some of these Bible stories. I also laugh at Family Guy re-runs. Both are kind of crazy. The U.S. Constitution did not consider black people to be 100 % people. Women did not have the right to vote. Similar to Emperor Hirohito (Japan’s God on earth) whose military stated that Chinese people where not human and could be killed. Again- people in a power structure interpreting something. Each person draws a different conclusion.

Your video reminds me of the absurdity of some Americans who tried to stop Rock and Roll in the 1950s. They would simply read the lyrics of Elvis or some other singer. Somehow, Elvis lyrics seem silly when read by a 60 year old fat guy in a suit. But wow, hearing the song sung by the King is pretty good….

I think you doing this provides a pretty good and (never seen before) service. For me, it reminds me that much of the Bible was written by people. Maybe they were having a bad day the day they argued to include THIS story over THAT story…maybe they were having a good day- heck- I don’t know.

But there are stories in there that have stood the test of time. They teach about the human mindset. They teach that some people are greedy and some are not. Some kill and some turn the other cheek. Some repress sex and some can’t get enough.

You want a good laugh, read the instructions that came with my Chinese made Steam Shower: “Hot water is danger for small children. For no hospital, adult and child must use steam at same time.” I think they meant tell the kids to stay the hell out of my bathroom. At least, I hope so.

I don’t follow the instructions literally, I use my head. But I am still a believer in that steam shower.

Regardless, thank you for posting and questioning things.

Originally Posted By Morris Fine

Thanks – my primary objective here is to point out that the Bible cannot possibly be the word of God.

Still, if it doesn’t represent God’s moral code, then what does it represent? What is its purpose? Yes there is a lot of good stuff in there (particularly some of Jesus’ teachings, though certainly not all), but there’s a whole lot of very bad stuff too: far too much for a book that is as revered as the Bible is.

How about a Koran reading as well?

Originally Posted By Federale
How about a Koran reading as well?

Do you people actually read what I write?

Sachiko- Thank you! Your primary objective (in my opinion), is achieved. When I was little, I used to ask the Sunday School teacher why God seemed pretty mean at times. I was shut down. I asked that again and again over the years- and learned to question things.

You open the video with “honor thy father”. In reality, my father abandoned my family. When I asked my priest back then how I am supposed to honor a guy like that, I was told to just honor him. I did not go back to church for five years. Their interpretation of Christianity did not “speak” to me. Years later, I was talking to a priest who said I should probably just “honor my mother doubly”. That was good enough for me, as my mother did the work of two parents.

Which brings me to the Bible again. It was written by men- not women. Right there, it becomes suspect as it excludes 1/2 of the populations’ interpretations. No Fortune 500 Company can do well today without having women at the executive level. How could the Bible? How could the church? If women wrote it- only women, I think many stories in the Bible would have been different. Many messages would have been different. Heck, many solutions would be different…instead of killing your son, maybe you could just send him to his room or embarrass the hell out of him in front of his mates.

I don’t see the Bible-based church resolving many of these issues until all people are accepted. The leadership is behind the times. The majority of my Christian friends think it is wrong to exclude women from the priesthood (what could possibly be wrong with that?!) and wrong to not welcome same-sex couples.

As I get older, I see how wrong some of this thinking is. I could just walk away, but I’d rather stay and fight, as Jesus fought. If Christianity will be interpreted by closed-minded men only, then it won’t thrive. I have seen the damage the church can do, I’ve also seen what I interpret as good works.

I will end my post by stating what I think is an answer to your question, and giving two examples. You asked, “…if it doesn’t represent God’s moral code, then what does it represent?”

I believe it represents what people want it to: Salvation, repression, evil, good, a moral compass, enslavement, sexism, libertarianism, etc…

1) My friend LH grew up in a Christian household. Her father was a wealthy (and darn good) dentist. Each year, her friends would spend their summers going to Mexico, or sitting by the pool. LH traveled to Africa, every year, for six weeks. She assisted her father in giving free dental care for people who needed it. They did this through their church.

2) My cousin works as a consultant for an accounting firm. He was sent to review the books of that defense company which was in the news two months ago. This company makes sniper rifle scopes…they are used to kill people, period. The company made news because it turned out to use serial and model numbers on their scopes that corresponded to specific passages in the Bible.

Both my friend, and the CEO of that company- call themselves Christians.

It’s a work in progress…I hope.

It is cowardly to continue to close comments whenever you post this stuff on Asian Sirens.com. You and/or Doc have obviously had your egos bruised with your previous posts on that page, so you post and then “hide”. I may or may not agree with your politics and philosophies, but I complete disagree with the hypocrisy with which you and he wrap yourselves on that website.

You said “all opinions are welcome (indeed, encouraged)”. This is my opinion…post it if you dare. But I doubt you will.

Morris… thanks for calling me ignorant.

Yes missionaries have gone out with medicines to cure the sick… but it was doctors and scientists who created those drugs, not priests and ministers, monks or nuns.

I don’t want to get into an argument over this, but I am well aware of the good that Christians do… and muslims, jews, buddhists and athiests. I am also well aware of the evil they have done – all of them.

The point is that Sachiko is dealing with the Bible, not other texts, so we are discussing the things within the book which do not gel with a modern, humanitarian society.

Please don’t use this forum to insult the intelligence of people just becsuse they don’t agree with you.

Originally Posted By Anon

Alright brave Mr Anon (LOL!), what do you have to say? :-) I simply want people to comment here, so as to maximise my traffic (and minimise the Doc’s workload). You may call that cynical, but why shouldn’t I encourage people to comment on my site when it comes to discussing my own material?

Couldn’t agree more.

Sachiko this is YOUR site, and you are perfectly within your rights to do anything you like with it – there’s nothing wrong with self-promotion… I myself a member of an online art community where the whole point is self-promotion. So I understand where you are coming from.

Anon… you claim that Sachiko posts on another site then “hides”, and accuse her of hypocracy… how about you?
You hide under “Anon”… How is that any different?

@iain
I said nothing about what she does and posts HERE on this site. Go nuts…it’s her name right there up top. I was referring to another site which is driven by community contributions and conversations. Well, normally driven by conversations, except when they are magically locked for one person.

Why “Anon”? Because as I stated before, Doc is easily offended by comments that are not gushing in their praise for you. Furthermore he becomes petulant and begins waving the “ban stick” around. I rather enjoy reading and posting on that site so I avoid that, thank you.

My point is: If you’re confident enough to post nude/topless/”sexy” anything on a site that bills itself “The Essence of Asian Beauty”, then you should be confident and willing to take the comments that the community offers. However, since it hasn’t always “gone your way” before and Doc has taken extreme exception to that fact, it is a cop-out to say “I want to minimize Doc’s workload”. He replies two and three times per post on AS…I’m sure if it were anyone else he would in fact enjoy a lengthy conversation.

@Anon – The Doc moderates here as well as Asian Sirens, so if they’re both discussing the same thing, why should he have to moderate both if he has the choice? And once again, why shouldn’t I direct all comments to my blog (so I can get more traffic on my own site), instead of another site? If you look at previous posts on me at AS (before I had my own blog), you will see there are a lot of negative comments, which the Doc allowed. But now I have my own forum, he doesn’t want to have to do any more work than he has to, and I want the traffic to come to my own sites instead of AS.

Now, do you actually have anything worthwhile to say apart from pointless bitching, brave Mr Anon?

@Anon

Please read my last post… I said: “… you claim that Sachiko posts on another site then “hides”, and accuse her of hypocracy…
Notice I said ANOTHER SITE…